If your child wears glasses, you might have to deal with the request for contact lenses at some point. However, contact lenses require a certain amount of responsibility, and how do you determine whether your child is ready to use them?
We at Lens World know that there is no specific age at which you can start your child on contact lenses. Sometimes even toddlers can wear them. Each child is different and will be ready at a specific time.
Some Common Signs
Here are the signs that you should be looking out for which will tell you that your child is now ready for contact lenses:
- They Are Asking To Use Contacts- While this is a common demand, children that are unhappy with their glasses have far more motivation to care for their contact lenses. It is always best to wait until your child asks you about wearing contact lenses. When this request comes from them, it tells you that they are more driven and will likely care for the lenses much better.
- Your Child Does Their Chores Without You Having To Repeatedly Ask Them– Children that have begun to be responsible in various avenues of their life will be far more likely to care for their contact lenses. If this isn’t the case, you can easily wait for a couple of years before considering this option. After all, you do not want to continually remind your child to take them out at, store them etc.
- They are Hygienic and Clean- If you find that your child is very messy or not particular about cleanliness, then contact lens might not be the right choice for them. Some kids love to play around in a mess, but that isn’t the way to go when they are handling contact lenses. Poor hygiene can result in an infection which is something you do not want happening.
- They Look after Their Glasses– Good quality glasses are delicate and expensive. Children that make an effort to care for them rather than just leaving them behind somewhere, placing them roughly in the backpack or a mess on their table would not be able to look after the contact lenses. On the other hand, if your child is particular about how they handle their glasses, they might also be able to take care of contact lenses.
- They Participate In Athletics- If your child loves sports, contact lenses are a good option for them. They do not have to worry about adjusting their glasses while they are moving around and active. Also, you don’t have to worry about broken glass hitting their face in case of an accidental impact.
For any more information about the types of lenses we have, feel free to contact Lens World. You can also send us your queries through the email.